Thursday, April 14, 2011

The Liam phenomenon

I wish I could record every conversation I have with Liam.  By the time I get to a piece of paper or my laptop, I've usually forgotten everything he said.  He makes me laugh daily with the things he comes up with--he is overflowing with creativity and imagination.  

Lately he has been talking through his finger, as in he'll crook his index finger and say "Liam needs fruit snacks." "Mom, my decider machine says I need fruit snacks." His finger isn't always a "decider machine," it changes daily. And it's quite frustrating when it "runs out of energy" and "needs new batteries" because then nothing gets accomplished until it either gets new batteries or its "server gets rebooted" or something along those lines. And that often leads to a 10 minute ordeal in which I install the wrong batteries or rebooting doesn't work and...well, you get the picture.

Anyway, if I could stash a hidden camera somewhere, I'd let you all experience the Liam phenomenon. Because he will not be himself when the camera is visible. For now, I'll leave you with two of the conversations we had on the way home from the Children's Museum tonight.

Me: I need to do one last load of laundry tonight.
Liam: Tomorrow is laundry day so you should wait until tomorrow to do it.
Me: But I need to wash this pair of jeans!
Liam: Mom, you should stick to sweatpants.

Me: The zoo opens tomorrow! I can't wait to go to the zoo EVERY DAY!
Liam: You can't go every day, Mom. The zoo is only for special occasions. If you're a good listener and do your chores like vacuum, or do the laundry, THEN you can go to the zoo.

Also, I had a proud Mama moment last Friday that brought me to tears.  My baby boy read me a book!  We were having quiet time and he decided to pick up Cookie's Week by Cindy Ward and proceeded to read it word for word to me.  I was so proud I made him do it again :) I knew he could do it; he's been reading words and short sentences random places like cereal boxes and signs for a few weeks now, even though he would flat out deny that he could read.  I am so gosh darn proud! I made him promise that he'd still let me read him books.

1 comment:

Megan said...

I LOVE Liam. LOVE Love love. (and You and Maggie, of course!)

Post a Comment