Monday, October 24, 2011

Kayak Polo Nationals 9-10-11

Brian and I have been playing kayak polo for over a year now.  It's amazing how good Brian has gotten at the sport!  Omaha played host to the Kayak Polo Nationals this year, which is pretty darn cool.  There were teams from all over the US--Austin, Pacific NW, Boston, and a couple others.  Omaha had some teams and our very own Lincoln Kayak Polo got a team together as well!  I didn't play because, well, I'm not that good and also I was planning on having sinus surgery a couple weeks before the competition.

A couple Canadian teams came down to play as well!  The current Canadian National team (ranked 15th in the WORLD) was awesome to watch.  Actually, all the Division A teams were amazing--such talent!

Our team called themselves the Honey Badgers (If you haven't seen the YouTube video by Randall, this will explain our team's name and our special cheer.)  One of our team members designed some t-shirts for us, and they went over so well that some of the other teams actually purchased a shirt to take home with them!  We had quite a huge gathering of fans there to support our team--very cool!  Also, we taught Maggie to say "Honey Badgers don't care!" and it's very cute.  Even now if you say "Maggie, Honey Badgers.." she'll say it :)

In the actual tournament they won their first game, but the second game they were matched up against the Canadian ex-National team.  These guys were in their 60s, but had been playing together for years.  They were impressive!  And they beat us pretty handily.  The Badgers won the 3rd game but got knocked out of the tournament in the 4th game.  Sad.  But they did so well for not having played together much and for their first tournament!

Brian is an amazing goalie.  He stopped so many goals!  And he even impressed the Canadians, which is saying a lot!  Good job, Dad!!

I didn't get many photos because I was video taping.  Here's a couple I did get.
Stopping those darn Canadians from scoring again!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

GO HONEY BADGERS!! Seriously, Brian is an amazing goalie. He'd better not leave us for some high-falootin' Canadian "A" team!

Thanks again for coming out to cheer. I was CRAZY nervous, so it was awesome to see people from Lincoln. (Even if you did film my butt.)

P.S. It won't let me post a comment via my Google account, so I'm anonymous!

Post a Comment